The goings on of a 20-something who does way too much

Blank thoughts, reviews and so much more

November 7, 2011

My almost Arctic adventure to Iceland Part 1

Well, I have definitely been busy in the last few months so I will try and do a few posts about different legs of my trip.


So firstly its off to Iceland where I spent nearly 3 amazing weeks. So firstly I decided to take the slow but relaxing way to Iceland on a Smyril line ferry (mind you it took me nearly the whole ferry journey to realise it wasn't Smyrll) that departed from Hirtshals in the North of Denmark and takes 3 and a half days to reach Seydisfjourdur in the East of Iceland with a half say stopover in the gorgeous Faroe Islands capital of Torshav. I stayed in a 4 bed shared cabin with luckily only 3 of us as it is squishy that was very comfortable and had a TV with a lot of English programs to while away the hours.


So after 3 nights on a ferry and a bit of confusion to what time it actually was I finally arrived in Iceland at 10am on the 6th September. After the horrible but quite short walk to my hostel, I learnt that I couldn't check in for another 7 hrs and I was in a town with a population of 500 people, none of which seem to actually walk around there town. So I did the only thing you can possibly do in a town like this, and that was to walk back out of it. After tramping along the side of the road for half an hour I found a trail and decided it would be smart to avoid said muddy trail whilst wearing white Volleys. But after coming across a gravel track I decided what the hell and I preceded to follow the grey gravel road through the gorgeous valley hills to a waterfall that I didn't even realise existed. Inspired by the beauty and spying another waterfall in the distance I decided to keep going and risk it cause it didn't seem too bad. Boy was I wrong, when I soon realised that there are hundreds of trickling streams that you have to cross whilst walking across a very soggy bog. I ended up abandoning my quest as my shoes were taking on a tinge of mud and were soaked through and being only 1pm I still had many an hour to kill before I could do much about it. Needless to say there wasn't much else to do, so when 5pm came I was well and truly ready to crash with some Danish cider.


The next day I realised that booking a flight out of tiny town at 7pm at night was the worst thing I could have done. I ended up spending nearly 11hrs in the Egilstadur Airport where they only have 4 flights out a day, all of them to Reykjavik and I was there for the take off of every single one. But eventually I made it to Iceland's Capital and a very quirky hostel so I could begin my SEEDS adventure the next day.


This is the Waterfall that was so worth getting muddy for! 



Torshav-Capital of the Faroe Islands




View of some of the 17 Faroe Islands

I hope you enjoyed my rant and I will post more Icelandic blogs very soon. I'm thinking a food inspired one next :-P



No comments:

Post a Comment